Wednesday, April 16, 2014

My Simple Thoughts on Differentiated Instruction

            A differentiated instruction, I believe, is one that allows the teacher to vary the content, the process, the product, or the environment of the lesson based on the students' capabilities to receive instruction. I always try to distinguish my students into at least two learning ability groups, since in reality, it is very difficult for a teacher to prepare a lesson that encompasses all learning styles.  
            I realized that in order for me to start differentiating my classroom instruction, need to see where my students at, and gather information about them individually and as a class in general. I have tried looking at students’ previous ELA and Mathematics State test scores and analyze some patterns. To the least, the scores are very helpful. But I also assess on my own,  as I analyze their quiz scores, observe their language facilities, and read their journal reports.
           Based on experience with my students, I have learned to group my students into two: those those who can grasp the concept on their own, and those who cannot.  With this grouping in mind, I develop classroom tasks for those who demonstrate the understanding of a concept to be application lessons and other classroom tasks that would require me to apply direct instruction.
           The mini-lesson is usually presented to the whole class and students who need direct instruction will be given more attention during the workshop time.  Sensing that some of my students can go on their independent pace, I just allow them to go on their own rate of progress i.e., proceed to do the critical thinking part, which is an independent project or extension activity of the lesson. The struggling students may not realize it, but they are no longer required to do the critical thinking activity, which I usually reserve at the end of the workshop period for the advanced students to do.
           I have also tried varying the learning activities of the students by developing alternative paths to learn, process, and analyze the key concepts of the lesson.  I usually provide opportunities to my students to use different kinds of graphic organizers, encourage them to express their observations in tabular form, or even draw and illustrate concepts and ideas using a model. The graphic organizers may become complex for some students who can process the ideas and concepts faster and in depth.  A simple tally sheet, for example, may require a columnar table to show the number of students who participated in a survey based on gender, grade level, zones, and ethnic groups.  With some students, it would actually complete my day to see that they have at least accomplished a simple Venn diagram to illustrate the comparison among the cold-blooded animals and the warm blooded ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment